By Ken Dupuy
12. Eloi Erath
13. Irma Erath
18. Gustave Godchaux
20. Oliver B. Gordy
21. Mrs. Sam Grigsby
24. Kate A. Haner Nourse Hamblet
25. Emmeline Stansbury Ewing Harkins
29. J. A. Holmes
30. James M. Jagers
31. Herbert J. Kelly
33. Nora Lee Kibbe
36. Willie Kibbe
40. J. D. Landry
41. Abram Lyons
44. Josie McHenry
49. Robert Neal
50. Sylvanus Petty
52. J. Henry Putnam
59. Edna Rose
62. (Infant) Shanks
63. Martha E. Sirmon
64. Celestia J. Swain Stansbury
72. Claude Swain
73. Helen M. Swain
74. William I. Swain
75. W. H. Swain
76. Horace Taylor
77. (Infant) Utley
79. Nita VanSlyke
80. (Infant) White
81. Althea White
82. George H. White
85. Joseph A. White
86. Maggie L. White
87. Maggie May White
88. Nannie R. White
89. Walter E. White
91. Willie B. White
AREA, Katie, See Godchaux, Katie.
AREA, Louise E., nee McMurtray, born 1839, in Mississippi, died April 13, 1889, at Hotel Dieu in New Orleans. Wife of William Francis Area. In 1880, she had a millinery shop next to store of her son-in- law, Gus Godchaux, on lot now occupied by Bank of Abbeville & Trust Co. The Areas had two daughters, Mary and Katie.
AREA, William F., born 1817, in North Carolina, died October 1889, following a paralytic stroke in July 1889—six months after the death of his wife, Louisa E. The Areas emigrated to the environs of Abbeville from Mississippi about 1870. Was a large land holder and sugar cane planter, and sugar manufacturer. In 1881, he became one of the first land owners in the vicinity to use barbed wire fencing. The Area property included the land upon which is located the old train station, as well as the Godchaux Addition of Abbeville.
BOURNE, Dr. Elijah, born in New York, died January 4, 1891, in Abbeville, after a "brief, but painful illness." He was a dentist who had practiced in Franklin, La. and New Iberia, La. before coming to Abbeville. In 1887, Dr. Bourne was appointed mayor of Abbeville by Governor Douglas McEnery to fill the unexpired term of Ophelias Bourque, who resigned. He was reelected mayor in 1888, and in 1889. As early as December 1867, Dr. Bourne was advertising as a "surgeon dentist," in Franklin, La.
BRICE, John C died on November 25, 1899, following an accident at the sugar mill on Mrs. R. D. Smith's farm. His injuries proved to be fatal. Mr. Brice was survived by five children; it is probable that their mother was already deceased. According to the obituary, the tragic accident had left them "doubly orphaned."
BRIGHAM, Mamie, born c. 1882, died January 9, 1902 at the home of her father, Col. T. G. Brigham, 10 miles west of Abbeville. She and her family came to this area from Bastrop, La. c. 1900.
BURKETT, Lela Ruth, born c. May 1900, died of pneumonia on February 5, 1905. She was the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Louis Burkett. Mr. Burkett was a watchmaker and jeweler. In 1900, he moved to Abbeville from Franklin, La.
CALDWELL, Charles, born January 3, 1868, in Abbeville, died of typhoid fever in Lake Charles, La. on June 19, 1894. On October 29, 1891, he married Miss Camilla LeBlanc. He was a brick mason, who, by 1892, was described as one of the leading brick masons and contractors in Lake Charles. In 1893,he burned the kilns of bricks for Solomon Wise's store, which now houses Black' s Restaurant. He had brick masons work on both Wise's store, and on J. Henry Putnam's sugar refinery in 18 93. The Woodmen of the World monument was placed by that group at his tomb, in 1909.
CAMPBELL, Keziah, See Keziah Kibbe
CHEVIS, Mrs. Henry. T, nee Virginia Cook, born c. 1838, died November 1, 1903. Dr. Henry T. Chevis, her husband, came to Abbeville in 1878, at which time he formed a partnership with Dr. W. D. White. Dr. Chevis died on November 14, 1881, at the age of 57. Sometime between 1892 and 1895, Dr. Chevis' survivors, including his widow, and children: William H., Miss Kate, and Mrs. Henry Bascom Lyons—donated land which was to be used as public streets—probably in the Chevis Addition.
ELDREDGE, Emma E., nee Frierson (Frieson), born July 5, 1819, in Charleston, South Carolina; died January 1, 1890. She was the wife of George M. Eldredge. They were married in 1842 and had three children.
ELDREDGE, George M., born December 6, 1810 in Cold Springs, New Jersey; died April 27, 1886 at his residence. He married Emma Frierson (Frieson) in 1842, and they had three children. The Eldredges came to Vermilion parish in 1870. After a "long and active career in public life," G. M. Eldredge died while serving as a State Representative.
ELDREDGE, Langdon M. born September 25, 1879, died November 1, 1910 after an illness of several months. Was the eldest son of M. L. Eldredge, president of the Vermilion Parish School Board. Langdon had been employed in a railroad office in Houston, Texas until shortly before his death. Langdon was a grandson of George M. Eldredge and Emma E. Eldredge.
ERATH, Eloi, born July 22, 1856, in Switzerland, died December 3, 1902. Came to Abbeville from New Orleans in January 1898. Married Margaret, nee Moock on May 13, 1880. They had eight children, only four of whom reached maturity: Oscar Edmond, Armand, Ernest, and Olga. Eloi Erath was the first agent in Abbeville for the Budweiser, and Anheuser-Busch Beers. Eloi was the first to establish a soda water bottling company in Abbeville. His bottling company was near the corner of Concord and State streets.
ERATH, Irma, born c. September 1902, died November 28, 1902, five days before her father's death. She was the daughter of Eloi and Margaret Erath.
ERATH, Margaret, nee Moock, born November 27, 1861, died March 25, 1926. She and Eloi Erath married in New Orleans on May 13, 1880. Mrs. Erath and her son, Edmond sold the family soda water bottling works to Sam and Joseph Russo in 1911.
ERATH, Oscar Edmond born May 30, 1884, died July 22, 1923. Married Mary Laura, nee Frenzel, on July 10, 1907. They had two children Hulda, and Louis W. For awhile, Edmond and his brother, Armand, carried on the soda pop bottling company that their father, Eloi established, as well as the Courthouse Exchange saloon. For a very short time, these brothers operated a movie house on the corner of Pere Megret and Washington streets, in the east part of the buildings now occupied by Piazza Office Supply.
EWING, Col. Elijah, born July 18, 1820 in Arkansas, died June 18, 1877, in Monroe, La. Was married to Emmeline Stansbury, c. 1852. They had eight children. Col. Ewing was a surveyor, and a farmer, and he served as President of the Police Jury in 1867. He may have served in the State Legislature, as well. He died in Monroe where he had gone to see about his deceased brother. Nine months after his death, the remains of Col. Ewing were returned to Abbeville by his wife who traveled to Monroe and back by steamboat. Col. Elijah Ewing belonged to several organizations, including the Masons, the Grangers, the Sons of Temperance, and the Literary Society.
EWING, Mary - See Summers, Mary A.
FAULK, Altha A. - See Mrs. Altha Harrington.
FITRPATRICK, (Fitzpatrick?), Mary Jane - born c. 1830, died August 20, 1904 at the residence of her adopted daughter, Mrs. Francis T. Foote. Mr. Foote, Mrs. Fitzpatrick's son-in-law, organized the Foote Mercantile Co. Ltd. in Abbeville, in 1902. This company was to sell lumber, hardware, feed, mules and livestock.
FRIERSON, Emma E., See Eldredge, Emma E.
GODCHAUX, Gustave, born October 17, 1853, in Franklin, La., died October 12, 1908. Came to Abbeville in 1875. Married Kate Area on March 13, 1879. Conducted several businesses, including a general merchandise store, a lumber yard, and a brick manufacturing company. He was president of the Abbeville Investment Co. that had the current Bank of Abbeville & Trust Co. building constructed in 1903. Was a member of the Police Jury, and of the School Board. Gus and son, Frank Godchaux, Sr. were instrumental in the formation and erection of Abbeville's first rice mills and began a dynasty that has culminated in the establishment of Riviana Foods, Inc., an international company.
GODCHAUX, Katie, nee Area, born September 21, 1860, died January 10, 1895, after a brief illness of pneumonia. Daughter of W. F. Area and Louise McMurtray Area. Married Gus Godchaux M arch 13, 1879; ceremony performed by J. V. Pointer, a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church South. They had one child, Frank Godchaux, Sr.
GORDY, Oliver B., born June 8, 1902, died February 12, 1905. Was youngest son of Minos T. Gordy, Jr.. and Laura C. Haynes. M. T. Gordy, Jr. was appointed District Attorney in 1890 and was elected to this office at the end of his first term. In 1895, he became the parish attorney for the Police Jury. In 1900, Mr. Gordy, Jr. was elected to the office of District Judge. Oliver was a grandson of Minos T. Gordy, Sr., who was sheriff of St. Mary Parish as early as 1874 and who was reelected sheriff in 1879.
GRIGSBY, Mrs. Sam died suddenly October 5, 1896. Her three daughters, the oldest but five years old, and her husband survived her.
HAMBLET, Mrs. Augusta, nee Robertson, born October 15, 1853, in Oxford, Mississippi; died October 31, 1886, in Perry's Bridge. Daughter of G. W. and Mary (nee Winfield) Robertson. Married Dr. J. T. Hamblet, in 1875, in Oxford, Mississippi. Dr. Hamblet had the monument for her tomb erected in 1893.
HAMBLET, Dr. J. T., born May 1, 1847, in Lafayette County, Mississippi; died August 13, 1899, at Touro Infirmary, in New Orleans, La. Married Miss Augusta E. Robertson in 1875. After her death in 1886, he married, in 1887, Mrs. Kate Nourse, the widow of Hiram Nourse of New Orleans. In 1874, Dr. Hamblet began to practice medicine, in Mississippi. He and Augusta settled in Perry's Bridge in 1885, where he also operated a drugstore. In January 1899, Dr. Hamblet and his family moved to Abbeville, but he became seriously ill by July and died in August. His widow and three stepdaughters survived him.
HAMBLET, Mrs. Kate A., nee Haner, born January 12, 1842, died November 6, 1915, in Houston, Texas. Was first married to Hiram Langdon Nourse, and they had four children. In 1887, she married Dr. J. T. Hamblet. She suffered a "stroke of paralysis" about 1910. She was survived by two daughters, 18 grandchildren, and three great grandchildren.
HARKINS, Mrs. Emmeline, nee Stansbury, born February 3, 1831, died April 6, 1902. Emmeline was first married to Elijah Ewing. They had eight children. After Elijah's death, she married Burl W. Harkins.
HARKINS, B(url) W(ilson), born c. 1817, in Memphis, Tennessee, died April 19, 1902. His second wife, Emmeline Harkins preceded him in death by two weeks. Mr. Harkins was a "forty-niner and went to California during the 'gold fever' so prevalent at the time." He was first married to Miss Orelia Fudge and they had nine children. His first wife died, and in 1867, he and his children moved to Vermilion Parish.
HARRINGTON, Mrs. Altha A., nee Faulk, born c. June 1832, died February 14, 1902 at her home, five miles west of Abbeville. She was married to Joseph Harrington.
HENSLEE, Mrs. Eunice L., born c. 1872, in Garland, Alabama, died August 29, 1904. Was married to W. A. Henslee. She came to Rayne from Scranton, Mississippi about 1901, and to Abbeville about 1903. Besides her husband, she was survived by three small children, including a child only 5 months old.
HOLMES, J. A., born October 7, 1836, d______.
JAGERS, James M., born (March 31),1880, died October (25), 1903 on the "old Joseph Jefferson place." He was the son of J. E. Jagers who had lived in Abbeville for several years.
JOHNSON, Pauline, See Putnam, Pauline Johnson.
KELLY, Herbert J., born December 23, 1892, died at 4:30 a.m. on March 31, 1894, of "mengitis." He was the son of Rev. J. J. Kelly ,the local Methodist minister, and his wife, El. Kelly. Seven months after Herbert's death, on October 30, 1894, a nine-pound daughter was born to this couple.
KIBBE, Mrs. Keziah, nee Campbell, born c. 1837, died December 19, 1897 at the residence of her son, E. C. Kibbe. She was the wife of Judge William Kibbe; they had seven children, including Dr. W. G. Kibbe.
KIBBE, Nora Lee born October 9, 1873, died on October 29, 1918, at Touro Infirmary in New Orleans, "from an illness lasting a long time." She was the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. William G. Kibbe.
KIBBE, William, born January 3, 1813 in Essex County, Vermont, died August 15, 1878 at his residence near Abbeville. Was married to Keziah Campbell; they had 7 children. Wm. Kibbe was the first parish judge and under another system was parish judge at the time of his death. He was the Clerk of Court in 1846 and President of the board of Administrators of public schools in 1847. He served as mayor of Abbeville in 1866 and in 1867. In 1868, he was the Recorder in the office of the Clerk of Court. Judge Kibbe was also a veteran of the "War of Texas Independence."
KIBBE, Dr. William Gaines, born January 25, 1842, in what was to become Vermilion Parish; died February 12, 1906 in front of his drugstore on Main Street. Was a son of William Kibbe and Keziah Campbell Kibbe. Dr. Kibbe served in the Confederate Army. In 1863, he married Sophie Walker, daughter of the late Judge J. W. Walker of St. Mary Parish. They had nine children. After the war, he located at Lake Charles. He and his family moved to Perry's Bridge in 1870, and in 1878, they moved to Abbeville where he entered into a partnership with Dr. F. D. Young. Dr. Kibbe was survived by his widow, his sons, Drs. J. E. Kibbe and C. W. Kibbe, and two daughters, Misses Fannie and Nora.
KIBBE, Willie, born c. 1867, died January 27, 1883, in Vermilionville, La.. Sixteen-year-old son of Dr. W. G. Kibbe and Sophie Walker. Was the grandson of William and Keziah Kibbe.
LABIT, David Henry, was born October 3, 1873, died September 24, 1899. Was the son of Joseph T. Labit, and Lizzie Lyons. Had been employed at the Meridional, in the post office, in the sheriff's office, and in the assessors' office. In 1898, Labit had opened a grocery store. He married Miss Elia Trahan. He was survived by his widow and one child.
LAMPMAN, Charles A., born c. 1870. He died on October 28, 1903, on board an army transport from Manila to San Francisco, from an illness that he contracted in the Philippines. Was the brother of Martin Van Lampman, Jr., and is buried with their sister, Mrs. Jennie Richardson. Charles saw military action in the Philippines, in 1898, during the Spanish American War.
LAMPMAN, Martin Van, Jr., born June 21, 1875, died May 24, 1904. He was employed by others, before contracting with Vernon Caldwell to build the brick building on the corner of Main and Lafayette streets, across from the Eli Wise mansion, in 1901. Van opened a refreshment parlor there. On August 8, 1900, he married Miss Louise Chauvin. In 1903, Van sold his refreshment parlor to Bob Ballard. Lampman was survived by his wife and two children.
Landry, J. D., born c. 1856, died in New Orleans on March 1, 1895. Had traveled to New Orleans the day before to have an operation. Was buried on March 2, 1895, under the auspices of the Knights of Honor and the Knights of Pythias. He was survived by a wife and several children.
LEGUENEC, Mrs. Rosa W., nee Winston, born c. 1873, died October 24, 1954 in Tyler, Texas. She married Joseph R. Leguenec on October 5, 1892. She ran the "Abbeville Home School." Rosa and A. J. Golden were in charge of Abbeville's public schools, and they gave an exhibition in 1892. In 1900, Mrs. Leguenec was running another private school. Her husband, Joseph Leguenec, served as a deputy assessor in the early 1890's and was also a "sugar weigher" for some of the major local sugar refineries. In 1900, Mr. Leguenec was elected mayor of Abbeville, and was reelected each year until 1908.
LYONS, Abram, (also spelled Aborn) born October 19, 1812, died October 7, 1898. Lived in Vermilion parish most of his life. Was a cane planter. Married Elizabeth Ann Reeves Lyons.
LYONS, Mrs. Elizabeth A., nee Reeves born October 16, 1823, died November 1, 1882. Wife of Abram Lyons. They were married on March 15, 1841. To them were born seven children, including Sheriff Lyman C. Lyons.
LYONS, Mrs. Euphemie , nee Petry, born c. 1830, died June 1897. She married David M. Lyons. She was survived by sons: Geo. E., Wm. D., and Ollie G., also, by daughters: Mesdames J. T. Labit, J. C. Mouton, and C. C. Roberts. David M. Lyons died in 1891; he had been a councilman in 1866, 1867, 1868, and was a school board member in 1876.
McHENRY, Josie, Born in New Orleans, died April 13, 1901, in Abbeville. She and her mother came to live with her brother, William R. McHenry, in 1899.
McHENRY, William Rush, born October 7, 1870, in New Orleans, died January 28, 1906, after an "incurable malady" of a two-year duration, at his Abbeville residence. On November 23, 1898, McHenry married Eugenie Young, sister of Drs. R. J., F. F., M. A., L., and W. G. Young. McHenry was a druggist who managed the Central Pharmacy, owned by his brother-in-law, N. C. Young. Mr. McHenry was survived by his widow and three young daughters.
MAXFIELD, Adolphus F., born July 26, 1849 in Sycamore, Illinois, died on November 30, 1904, following a long illness. He and Eliza Ellen Houston were married in 1867 in Mt. Vernon, Ohio. They had three sons and a daughter. The family moved to Vermilion Parish c. 1880. They moved to Abbeville in 1897. A. F. Maxfield and sons were blacksmiths and wheelwrights. A. F. Maxfield served in the Union Army from February 1, 1865 to January 20, 1866. A. F. Maxfield belonged to the Abbeville Masonic Lodge.
MAXWELL, Mary E., nee Tilden, born c. 1846, in Baltimore, Maryland, died November 2, 1880. Was Albert G. Maxwell's second wife; they were married in 1873, in Baltimore.
MAXWELL, Albert G., born c. 1815, in Baltimore, Maryland, died December 4, 1901, in New Orleans. Arrived in Franklin, La. in the 1840's. His first wife was Martha E. Nixon. Married Mary E. Tilden of Baltimore, Maryland in 1873. Albert was a cane planter, and he built one of the first public warehouses in Abbeville, in 1877. A Mason himself, Maxwell donated the land for the old Masonic Cemetery to the local lodge.
NEAL, Robert, date of birth is unknown, died November 8, 1890, of "swamp fever," at his home in Rice's Cove. Mr. Neal left "several small children to mourn his death."
PETTY, Sylvanus, born c. 1881, died June 16, 1895—assuming that he was nicknamed "Van." Van Petty, son of H. E. and James A. Petty, drowned while "bathing" in the Vermilion Bayou, at the railroad wharf. James, a local building contractor, built stores and homes in Abbeville, and rice mills in other towns. His most notable structure in Abbeville is the Bank of Abbeville & Trust Co. building. James A. Petty served on the town council for several years, beginning in 1890, and he also served as a member of the school board.
PIPES, William Oscar, born c. 1873, died August 27, 1900, in San Antonio, Texas of consumption. Reared in Lincoln Parish. Came to Abbeville in 1890. He married Carrie White, daughter of Dr. W. D. White, on January 24, 1894, at the Methodist Church. Pipes was the editor of the and became part owner of the Republican Idea—the new name of the "Star"—as early as 1890, in Abbeville. He began publishing the "Gueydan News", that town's first newspaper in 1897. Pipes was also a journalist in other parts of the state. He was appointed postmaster of Gueydan in 1898. He was survived by his wife and four children. It is highly probable that the Pipes' five-month-old daughter was buried here in 1898, the funeral taking place from the residence of Dr. W. D. White.
PUTNAM, J. Henry, born January 24, 1848, in New Orleans, died August 18, 1917, in Abbeville. In 1871, he married Pauline Johnson, and they had nine children. He came to Vermilion Parish c. 1872 at which time he purchased the Fontelieu plantation. He owned and operated the Rose Hill Plantation and Refinery and was the manufacturer of some of the largest amounts of sugar in the area. After 27 years in Vermilion parish, he moved to Crowley and became involved in the rice industry. Later, J. Henry Putnam became associated with the oil business in Texas.
PUTNAM, Lawrence Johnson, born May 1887, died December 4, 1889. He was the son of J. Henry Putnam, and Pauline Johnson Putnam.
PUTNAM, Marie Pauline, born 1876, died February 21, 1919. She was the oldest daughter of J. Henry Putnam and Pauline Johnson Putnam. The Meridional's obituary listed her as Miss "Mamie" Putnam.
PUTNAM, Pauline, nee Johnson, born 1849, died December 9, 1929 in New Iberia where she was residing. She was the wife of J. Henry Putnam. They had nine children, and she was survived by four sons and a daughter.
PUTNAM, William Chaffe, born October 19, 1885, died January 22, 1942, in the Acadia Hospital in Crowley, La. He had been in rice milling and rice purchasing in Gueydan for his final 25 years. Was survived by his widow, nee Winnie Bassich, and by three children. Was a son of J. Henry Putnam and Pauline Johnson Putnam.
REYNOLDS, Gladys Estelle, born October 18,1896, died May 22, 1900. She was the daughter of Arthur and Emma D. Reynolds.
RICHARDSON, Jennie, nee Lampman. Jennie died on November 12, 1903 of "billious (sic) pneumonia." Was the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. M. V. Lampman, Sr. Jennie and Apple White Richardson, a dairyman and previously a teacher, were married on October 11, 1887. They had seven children. Their oldest child, John, was but 15 years old when Jennie died. She is buried with her brother, Charles A. Lampman.
ROBERTSON, Augusta. See Hamblet, Augusta.
ROSE, Edna, born c. 1876, died May 31, 1902 at her home near Abbeville. She was the daughter of David Crawley Rose and Nannie Sue Lyons Rose. David's sugar cane plantation was along the Vermilion River, where he manufactured sugar.
SCHILLING, Dr. C.A., born October 18, 1867 in Pikes County, Mississippi; died November 11, 1917, in Lake Charles, La. Married Mary E. Morgan on July 27, 1898, at Prairie Greig. Settled in Prairie Greig as early as 1894, at which time his drugstore was built; later he studied for the ministry in Texas before coming to live in Abbeville, in 1903. He was located in Henry, La. as late as 1902. Was both a physician and the pastor of the First Baptist Church in Abbeville, so he performed both operations and marriages. In 1905, when the local Masons bought land for their second cemetery, he was Worshipful Master of the Abbeville Lodge. Dr. Schilling was survived by his widow and three daughters.
SCHILLING, (Infant), died on May 24, 1904, and was "one day old" when it died. Child of Dr. C.A. Schilling and Mrs. Mary E. Schilling, nee Morgan.
SHANKS, (infant), died c. April 5, 1901. Child of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Shanks who came to Abbeville in 1898. An attorney, Mr. Shanks was also the principal of the Abbeville Public School in 1899.
SIRMON, Martha E. (referred to as Bettie in "Meridional"), born October 16, 1865, in Conecuh Co., Alabama, died July 18, 1900, in Lake Charles, La. A daughter of Richard Green Sirmon & Mary Jane Beasley Sirmon, who had thirteen children. Richard G. Sirmon was a rice planter.
STANSBURY, Celestia J., nee Swain, born July 13, 1849, died May 29, 1870. She was the wife of Uriah Stansbury. Uriah was a "Civil War veteran" and a "planter and owner of a sugar mill." Celestia and Uriah had one child, Leonard.
STANSBURY, Leonard A. "Len," born July 12, 1868, died on the sidewalk on State Street on September 25, 1924. He had been a "lifelong resident of the Seventh Ward." He was survived by his wife and six children. Leonard was the son of Uriah W. Stansbury, and Celestia Swain.
STEBBINS, born_____, died_____, an infant.
STEVENS William O., (Willie Stephens), born c. 1856 in Mississippi, died April 12, 1904, "after a long illness." He was a brother-in-law of M. V. Lampman., Sr., a dairyman near Abbeville.
SUMMERS, Mary A., nee Ewing, born December 6, 1850 (?); died March 6, 1890, from "congestive fever." She was one of eight children born to Elijah Ewing and Emmeline Stansbury. Mary Alice and George W. Summers were married c. March 1873. They were the parents of eight children. Mr. Summers taught school for years and was the principal of the Abbeville public school in 1882. He served as President of the Vermilion Parish School Board, and for several years was the secretary-treasurer of the town council. Summers was deputy clerk of court at the time of Mary's death, and he continued in that capacity as late as 1896, at which time the Senate reconfirmed his appointment. Mary Alice was probably born in 1854, as the 1870 census shows her to have been 16 years old at that time, and her parents married c. 1852.
SUTHERLAND, Dollie Beulah, born December 25, 1824, died October 29, 1891.
SUTHERLAND, Eliza A., born December 27, 1848, died July 23, 1888.
SUTHERLAND, George W., born May 24, 1842, died February 15, 1886.
SWAIN, Celestia J. (see Celestia J. Stansbury).
SWAIN, Claude, born October 1894, died December 1894. Son of William I. Swain, and Dora B. Swain, nee Sutherland.
SWAIN, Helen M., born January 4, 1871, died May 1, 1881. She was the daughter of D. H. & Hepsie Swain.
SWAIN, William I., born March 29, 1868, died June 6, 1905. He married Miss Dora B. Sutherland (Southerland) on November 12, 1890. She and four children survived him. His son, Claude, died in 1894. William was employed in the "butcher business" at the time of his death. Mr. Swain had been employed at the Lichenstein-Hechinger Canal Co., and had lived in Gueydan, before moving to Abbeville, only months before his death. The Woodmen of the World monument was placed by that group at his tomb in 1909.
SWAIN, W. H., born March 29, 1822, died November 23, 1893. The 1860 census shows that Mr. Swain had a lumber yard. He died at his home in Rice Cove, "about 3 1/2 miles from Abbeville."
TAYLOR, Horace, born January 24, 1860, died on May 25, 1902 at his home "near Gueydan." Was a native of Indiana and came to this parish c. 1892. In 1899, he was living in Wright, La. He was survived by his wife and several children.
UTLEY, a baby. No dates of birth or death.
VanSLYKE, Margaret, born 1848 died 1935.
VanSLYKE, Nita, born c. July 4, 1886, died August 6, 1888 at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William L. Vanslyke, "in Vermilion Parish." Mr. Vanslyke was a sugar cane planter, and in 1893 was using J. Henry Putnam's railroad to transport his sugar to the Vermilion River. By December 1893, VanSlyke was grinding his own cane. In 1895, W. L. Vanslyke was cultivating rice on "the White place on the west side of the bayou." He was also a member of the Police Jury, in 1889.
WHITE, Infant child of Mr. & Mrs. Jas. E. White. Died September 19, 1897, buried September 20, 1897. The infant "had been ailing for some time."
WHITE, Althea, born c. August 1903, died December 29, 1903. She was a granddaughter of John Calhoun White.
WHITE, George H., born April 19, 1874, died May 8, 1898.
WHITE, Helen Fleta, born June 5, 1888, died March 13, 1902 of an "attack of inflammatory lagrippe." She was the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. W. B. White. Following Easter Sunday, on March 30, 1902, the flowers used as Easter decorations in the Methodist church were put on Fleta's grave. Mr. White served as secretary/treasurer of the town council from 1879 to 1883. In 1881, he was a deputy clerk of court. In 1882, he was admitted to the bar. Mr. White was on the Board of Directors of the Abbeville Building and Loan Association in 1892 and 1893. In 1909, the Whites lost another daughter, Jeanette, who died of typhoid fever, in her 16th year. The White family's home, completed in 1896, was known as Linwood. By 1917, W. B. White had become an assistant District Attorney in Lake Charles.
WHITE, John Calhoun, born September 6, 1831, died September 10, 1893, in New Iberia, of "tubercular laryngitis." He had served as president of the Police Jury in 1860, and in the late 1870's, he held the position of parish treasurer. Mr. White also served as a member of the school board. John Calhoun White was married to Frances Ellen Campbell.
WHITE, Joseph A., born November 10, 1866, died November 26, 1870. A son of Dr. W. D. White & Lucinda Lyons White.
WHITE, Maggie L., born November 23, 1868, died November 27, 1870. A daughter of Dr. W. D. White and Lucinda Lyons White.
WHITE, Maggie May, born January 25, 1882, died January 15, 1888, of diphtheria in Abbeville. She was the daughter of Mr. W. A. White, and Mrs. White, nee Mary E. Lyons. Walter Augustus White passed the bar in 1877, and served as parish attorney. In 1878, he was elected District Attorney by the Police Jury. He was on the first Board of Directors of the Abbeville Building and Loan Association, in 1890. Began to advertise lots for sale in his White's Addition-between the Vermilion River and Coulee Valcourt—in 1899. In 1900, he had a bridge built over Coulee Valcourt, connecting his addition directly to the town of Abbeville. Mr. and Mrs. White and family moved to Covington, La. in 1904. Walter A. White died in 1917, in Covington.
WHITE, Nannie R., born December 1, 1879, died September 9, 1884. A daughter of Dr. W. D. White & Lucinda Lyons White.
WHITE, Walter E., born August 28, 1886, died November 8, 1886. A son of Dr. W. D. White & Lucinda Lyons White.
WHITE, Dr. William Dee, born August 31, 1836, in Franklin, Tennessee, died February 24, 1898, two days following the wedding of his daughter, Mary E., to James R. Kitchell. Dr. White came to Louisiana in 1859, and to Vermilion Parish in 1860. On December 24, 1862, he married Lucinda Reeves Lyons. They had 14 children, eight of whom survived him. Was parish coroner for 18 years. He was mayor, briefly in 1877, and had served as councilman in 1874. Dr. White became the first Worshipful Master of the Abbeville Masonic Lodge No. 192, F.&A.M. when it was chartered, in 1869. Was buried in the old Masonic Cemetery where at least five of his young children had been interred. When his wife, Lucinda, died on April 6, 1918, his remains were interred with hers in the New Masonic Cemetery.
WHITE, Willie B., born October 22, 1864, died August 21, 1868. A son of Dr. W. D. White and Lucinda Lyons White.
WINSTON, Mary Celeste, nee Moss, born 1830, died on June 18, 1895, "after a lingering illness," at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Joseph R. Leguenec. She had first married David Rose in 18 46, and after his death in 1852, Mary Celeste married Thomas S. Winston in 1855. She was the mother of five children. One of her children, Rosa Leguenec, who died in 1954, was buried with her.
WINSTON, Rosa, See Leguenec, Rosa
WINSTON, Thomas S., born July 20, 1826, in Virginia, died November 21, 1893 at his Rose Bower Plantation. He married Mary Celeste Rose, nee Moss, the widow of David Rose, in 1855. Their daughter, Rosa, married Joseph Leguenec (see Rosa Leguenec). Thomas Winston had been a pioneer sugar planter of Vermilion parish. It was said that his plantation had produced the "best molasses in the world." This property was later renamed the Charity Plantation. His remains were buried on his plantation. On July 15, 1918, Mr. Winston's remains were exhumed and were placed in a vault in the old Masonic Cemetery.
By Ken Dupuy
Historian For the Old Masonic Cemetery Committee.
Utilizing the list of names and inscriptions that Gary and Sandra Theall compiled from the grave markers, I used the dates of death to locate, in the Meridional, many of the obituaries of those whose remains are known to have been buried in this cemetery. Also, I found the obits almost 30 individuals for whom no grave sites are known. In most cases, I added significant information from my files to the bare essentials provided in most of the obituaries. There are almost certainly others who were buried in this cemetery whose names we don't have. Apparently it was the only cemetery, in or near Abbeville, for the burial of Protestants, until the establishment of Graceland Cemetery in 1908.